July 15, 2019 at 7:42 pm #11083
Is this a direct sequel?
- It is set in the same world as the original, but it is not a direct sequel in that it does not continue the story of Ragnar.
Is RUNE II’s story connected to the original?
- There are some callbacks. In the original, you were trying to stop Ragnarok from happening. In this game, you are in the middle of Ragnarok trying to end it.
Where will the story take place?
- The story takes place in Midgard. There are a variety of fractured islands for you to explore.
What is the overall size of the world?
- Midgard will be 6 kilometers by 6 kilometers. The world is fractured into dozens of different sized islands with a variety of biomes, each impacted differently by Ragnarok.
Will there be composed music?
- Yes, we were happy to work with “Viking” composer Dean Valentine. The game’s official soundtrack will be released when we launch for all pre-order customers. Read more about Dean in our interview.
What gods can I align with?
- Initially, you will be able to align with Thor, Odin, or Hel. Other gods may come post-launch
What role do the gods play? Are they physically with you in battle?
- Gods will not fight alongside you in battle, rather, the god that you align with will help you throughout your journey by giving you blessings. They will guide you in your quest and each god will have their own unique set of abilities and skills for you to unlock in addition to the core set.
Will there be other beings from Norse mythology?
- Yes, there will be giants, sea serpents, dwarves, and more. Every nook and cranny of the world is filled with things to explore.
Will we see other realms?
- At launch we’re only focusing on Midgard. We think it would be cool to bring players to other realms, but we have nothing to announce right now.
Will there be a variety of giants or female giants?
- There will be different giant variants such as fire or frost. We do not have immediate plans for female giants but we like the idea.
Will my actions affect the story’s ending?
- No, we do not plan on having alternate endings.
Is the weather system dynamic?
- Yes, and because it’s Ragnarok, the weather has become very unpredictable, so it can shift from clear day to a snowstorm pretty quickly.
What about day/night cycle?
- Yes. And the world is more dangerous at night, so be careful…
What are the system requirements?
- Minimum Spec Machine
- OS 64-bit Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10
- Processor Intel Core i3-4340 / AMD FX-6300
- Memory 8 GB DDR3 RAM
- Graphics Card nVidia GeForce 760 / AMD Radeon HD 7850
- DirectX 11.0 or equivalent
- HD Space 25 GB
- Recommended Spec Machine
- OS 64-bit Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10
- Processor Intel Core i5-4590 / AMD A-10
- Memory 8 GB DDR3 RAM
- Graphics Card nVidia GeForce GTX 970 / AMD Radeon RX 470
- DirectX 11.0 or equivalent
- HD Space 25 GB
Having played the original Rune, what changes can I expect? There are many of course, but what are the main differences from the original? And what has NOT changed?
- Rune Classic is very linear while the new Rune is open world and allows for exploration and adventure. Rune Classic is also centered around Ragnar and his story, but in the new Rune you can select your own character and align with a god of your choosing – Thor, Hel, and Odin will be available at launch.
- From the original, there will be lizard eating, mead drinking, dismemberment, limb throwing, weapon throwing, and rune powers. We’ve added a variety of features including ranged weapons, mounts, sailing, co-op play, a vast open world, and god alignments. Also, Lee Ernst, the original voice of Loki and Odin, is back in the new Rune!
Will there be character creation? If so, what does it look like?
- Yes, you will be able to choose male or female, hairstyle/color, skin tone, and tattoos.
What will we be able to craft?
- You will be able to craft weapons, armor, cook food, throwables (incendiary grenades), arrows, traps, and even ships.
What types of crafting systems are being implemented?
- Some enemies in the world drop recipes. Once you meet the minimum level requirements for the recipe and have all the necessary materials, you’re able to craft that item. Once crafted, you retain the knowledge of that item and can craft it again without needing to pick up that specific recipe.
How does limb severing work?
- If you’re low on health you’re more likely to lose a limb. Players will die upon decapitation, which can happen if you’re low health and get attacked. You can restore limbs by returning to a respawn shrine, using a rune of health, or getting back to full health. You can also craft a tourniquet to stop blood loss.
How will durability work in the game?
- Weapons no longer break*. Instead, weapons start out strong and get weaker over time with more usage. You can repair your weapon’s durability using a repair stone (at any time) at a whetstone inside of any built longhouse.
- *Weapons will break in the Age of Decay.
Are there enchanted weapons?
- Yes, there are weapons like fire swords, frost spears, poison axes, fire arrows, explosive throwables, and more.
Can I make my own longhouse?
- Yes, you can. You won’t be able to construct them anywhere in the world, but there will be spots in certain areas that you can bring resources to and erect prefabricated structures. Standing in a longhouse will protect you from enemies and the environment while slowly regenerating your health. They’ll also be a spot where you can place anvils and rune forges for crafting.
Will crouching be implemented?
- Crouching will not be implemented at launch, but it’s something we’re looking at down the line.
Is there leveling in Rune?
- There is leveling in Rune. You level up through a variety of activities like questing and exploring. As you level up, you gain additional health, damage, etc.
If I kill someone that’s a higher level than me can I still take their items, weapons, and armor?
- Yes, you can take anything they drop from their inventory. In order to equip some weapons and armor your character will have to be above a certain level.
Will other players be able to pick up thrown weapons and throw them back at you or use them against you?
- Yes. If you throw your weapon either into another player or if you miss another player, they will be able to remove it or pick it up and use it against you.
Will there be areas on the map that you can fast travel to?
- We currently do not have plans for fast travel, but we do have teleportation rune stones and different re-spawn points throughout the world.
Will there be any minigames?
- No, there will not be traditional minigames.
Will characters show visual signs of injury, like scars or bruises?
- Yes. There will be blood. A lot of blood.
Can we change the body type of the character?
- We do not have plans for different body types outside of male and female characters. Sorry, no dad bods here.
Can you parry attacks?
- We currently do not have plans for parrying.
How exactly is punching and kicking going to work? Will we need to unequip any weapons to be able to punch?
- If you do not have a weapon in your hands, you will be able to punch your opponent. You can sheathe your weapon with its associated hotkey.
Will there be other elements in combat like magic attacks?
- You can call upon the power of your god for a special magic attack. There are also magical weapons in the game including fire, frost, and poison weapons, as well as magical throwable grenades. Certain runes will grant one-time use abilities during combat.
Can enemies use ranged combat?
- Yes. Enemies can use bows/arrows. Some of them also utilize the throwables.
Do you have horned helmets?
- Yes, we do have horned helmets….and helmets without horns. Some helmets even have antlers.
How does respawning work?
- You retain all of your weapons, armor, and inventory across deaths. Bifrost gates throughout the world act as “respawn points”. In PvP servers: certain items from your inventory drop on death.
- There will be vaults in the game where you can store items so you don’t lose them. The vaults are universal, so you can access your items from any of the vaults in the world.
Can you pet the dog/wolf/deer?
- You cannot pet the dog at launch.
Will crafting be level-based?
- Yes, as you level up you’ll be able to craft more complex items.
Is there dodging in the game?
- Yes. Double-tap to dodge in the direction you want to dodge. The gamepad controller has a separate dodge button. You cannot dodge forward.
How do we navigate the open world?
- There is a map in the game that will display areas you’ve discovered. There is also a compass at the top of the HUD.
What actions drain stamina?
- Jumping, running, attacking, heavy attacking, and getting hit while blocking all drain stamina. You will be knocked down if you’re blocking and run out of stamina.
Will you be able to resurrect another player if they die in co-op?
- No, you will not be able to resurrect other players.
Will there be bleeding damage from getting your arm cut off?
- Yes, you will slowly lose health if a limb is cut off. You will die if you lose a leg.
How many weapons will there be?
- There are five weapon classes: swords, axes, hammers, spears, and bows. Each class will have multiple weapons, such as two handed swords and giant war hammers.
Is there a defensive skill progression?
- There are skill upgrades in the skill tree that affect your defense, both overall defense and resistances to elemental damage such as fire and frost.
Can you choose which hand wields your weapon?
- No, one-handed weapons are always in your right hand, two-handed weapons, of course, require both hands. Note that you can eat food with either hand, so even if your right arm is cut off, you can still eat food to eventually restore your limbs. But, if both your arms are cut off, well, that’s a much larger problem.
Is there a hunger and thirst system?
- No, while there are some survival systems such as hypothermia, there will not be hunger and thirst in Rune.
Will you be able to attack with a shield?
- Not at the moment, but we are looking at adding shield bashes.
Can you only block with shields?
- You can block with shields, weapons, and your arms. Shields and weapons have durability so keep an eye on their levels, arms can be cut off.
Is multiplayer seamless or instance based?
- The game is seamless throughout the entire open world.
Is co-op drop in and drop out joining?
- Yes, you can drop in at any time. If your friends have already started, you can drop in at different spawn points, some of which will be unlocked as you progress through the story.
Is leveling the same across co-op and PvP?
- Your character’s stats will persist across servers. Currently there is no progression in PvP, but it’s something we’re looking into post-launch.
Do ships vary in size?
- Yes, there will be different sizes of ships.
Where can we sail?
- There will be open bodies of water like oceans as well as tighter rivers between islands.
Can we swim from island to island?
- In some cases, but for islands that are farther apart you must beware of hypothermia.
Will there be monsters in the sea?
- Maybe. Sail the seas and find it for yourself.
Is there taunting?
- Yes. And there’s dancing, too.
Will the character be voiced?
- The player character will not speak, but there will be grunts, death sounds, etc. The gods (Odin, Hel, Thor, Heimdall, Loki) will talk to you.
Is it third-person or first-person?
- Third person. Technically you can pull the field of view forward into a psuedo first-person mode. Use that knowledge at your own risk.
Can we explore underwater?
- No, but you can swim on top of the water. And, you can sail of course.
Will there be loot crates/loot boxes/microtransactions?
- Short answer: No. Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Game Modes, Servers & Settings
What game modes will there be?
- You will be able to play through the open world campaign in online multiplayer or local single player.
Will there be PvP and PvE server options?
- Yes, there will be official PvP Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch servers.
How will servers work?
- There will be official Rune servers, you can rent your own server through G Portal’s service in-game, or host your own through a provider of your choice. Alternatively, you can host your own server.
How many players can populate a server?
- We feel that RUNE II’s co-op plays best with 4 people, and Deathmatch / TDM play best with 16-24. That said, there’s no hard limit from us on how many players can be in a server. If you’ve got a powerful enough machine and want to cram 64 players on a server, go for it.
Will there be an editor and mod tools available?
- Not at launch, but it’s something we’re interested in exploring down the line. We hope to eventually release an editor for Rune.
Will there be deathmatch or arena mode?
- RUNE II will launch with Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch. We’re looking into adding other modes such as arena and headball further down the line.
Will spectator mode and some kind of recording system be in the game to encourage Rune video creation?
- Initially we will not have a spectator mode. We are looking at adding this post-launch.
Are you prevented from attacking players with the same god alignment as you?
- No. We will have options for friendly fire being enabled/disabled on a per server basis.
What modding capabilities will we see?
- RUNE II will not have modding capabilities at launch.
Can I take my levels and items from a single player campaign to multiplayer?
- No, this could allow for cheating – you will make new characters on new servers.
Will there be community made maps?
- Not at launch. We hope to give the community these capabilities further down the line.
Will there be cross-platform multiplayer servers?
- Not at launch, but it’s something we’re looking into for post-launch.
Will there be voice chat?
- Not native in-game. We encourage you to join the official RUNE II Discord Server and find new friends!
Can you disable HP bars and damage numbers?
- You can disable the HUD, which would include these features. We will look at giving players the ability to turn off these specific pieces of the HUD.
Can you clarify if LAN will be supported?
- Yes, LAN will be supported.
What engine does RUNE II use?
- RUNE II uses Unreal Engine 4.2.2.
How long has RUNE II been in development?
- About a two and a half years.
How many people are working on RUNE II?
- We’re a small team of about 15 developers and Rune is a labor of love. A quarter of the team worked on the original Rune.
Will there be a physical release and a collector’s edition?
- Right now RUNE II is only available digitally on the Epic Games Store. We’re definitely interested in creating a physical copy of the game at a later date. Let us know here what you’d like to see in a collector’s edition.
Do you have plans for console ports or an iOS version?
- Our focus is on making the PC version the best it can be. We do not have plans for console/Switch/iOS at this time.
Will there be any translations?
- Voice options: English
- Subtitle options: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish
July 15, 2019 at 8:13 pm #11085
Reserved for more FAQ goodness.
The forum ‘FAQ’ is closed to new topics and replies.